Thursday, January 15, 2009

Movie Reviews: Get Smart, Indiana Jones.

So, I caught up on two other movies I didn't get in theaters.

Get Smart: ***1/2

I really enjoyed this movie. I thought Steve Carrell was very funny, and likeable. The Rock was great, Anne Hathaway was really good (and I have hated her in movies before *cough* The Princess Diaries *cough*) It was just what it intended to be, funny. I could definitely hope for a sequel here, it was a fun watch, recommended.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: *** 1/2

I went into this having heard mixed reviews. I will start out by stating that I think that this movie fell victim to the same thing as the first three episodes of Star Wars, too much anticipation. Expectations were raised, flaws in earlier movies are downplayed as the epic nature of those movies are cemented in the mind. This Indiana Jones movie was good. It wasn't the best of the four, but I don't think it was necessarily the worst either (bear in mind, being the worst I.J. movie wouldn't necessarily be bad). I have heard criticism about too much blue screen vs. old school doing actual stuntwork (reasonable critique). And complaints about the alien nature of the story (a complaint that I don't agree with, Indy is always about supernatural, I didn't find this too far off the beaten path for him). In this one he is up against Soviets instead of Nazis, but it still works. Good performances by Cate Blanchett, and Shia Lebouf, and the chick from the first Indy is still unattractive, but thats okay too. You should see this if you haven't.

3 comments:

letterman said...

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was better than Temple of Doom (and I've watched both in the last couple of months), but it undoubtedly nuked the fridge.

Sam Potter said...

What are you talking about? Karen Allen is freakin' hot. It was kind of funny, my 21-year-old friend even said that she was smokin'.

Dan said...

you've got issues.