Saturday, January 3, 2009

Follow up on the last post.

So back in Oct., I beleive right after BYU lost to TCU I got the following email.

Danny boy,

My condolences. Last night your misguided notions and ill-founded fantasy world about byu football completely collapsed. Like your anemic rhetorical skills, the cougars were woefully inadequate. In short, byu SUCKS!!! Go UTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


It came from someone named Jill Taylor, her(I assume) email is greenapple3@live.com.

I sat and puzzled it out, and couldn't for the life of me figure who she? is. So I sent the following email.

I have tried, and for the life of me can't figure out who you are. Where do we know each other from?

Dan


I thought that was pretty nice, after all, I have lots of friends who razz me if BYU loses, and I'm fine with it. Imagine my surprise when I get the following response.

A more enlightened source than you on several topics, including college athletics. That's who I am. Also one that has laughed at your insufferable blather in matters where you have paltry understanding. Don't bother yourself to know more; after all, facts are often contrary to your nature. Just know that humble pie down your gullet has been and continues to be highly entertaining. Thanks


Are you picking up the animosity? I sure did, and still have no idea what its source is. Apparently this person has disagreed with me before, I don't know if its from things I have posted on this blog, or others. I don't know if I even personally know this individual. So, I responded thusly.

Okay, whatever. Just for your own info, I really don't care about peoples opinions when I don't know them, or respect them. And since I have no idea if either would be the case with you, I won't have to worry about it.

Dan


I never heard back....until this morning. When I got this.

Any more room down your gullet for extra crow and humble pie? You and your laughable byu bias. Go UTES!!!!!!!!!!!


Now, I will tell you the same thing I told her(?). I sat in front of the TV and cheered Utah every play of that game, and loved seeing them beat up on a big SEC powerhouse. This proves to me that this individual has no idea how I stand on anything. I love seeing MWC teams do well, I have no raving Utah animosity. I only talk smack about Utah in relation to BYU. Do I have BYU bias? I hope so, I am a huge fan. Any fan that doesn't have at least some bias for their team isn't much of a fan.

So, I guess I will continue to wonder who this mystery emailer of anger filled barbs is, but I will sleep fine knowing that they clearly don't know me, as anyone who has even had a short conversation with me about college football, or read my posts, or replies on other people's blogs, knows where I stand with Utah football, or any MWC team.

Congrats Utes, your win was huge, it was great for the MWC, it was great for BYU, it was great for spitting in the BCS' eye. All wonderful goals.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

This person clearly does not know you. I came looking at your blog knowing I would find some commentary on the great game that was the Sugar Bowl last night. So sad that a few rotten apples have to take from the greatness of that victory.

Karen said...

I have just one question for jill whatsername: Wanna arm wrestle?

Unknown said...

Honestly, that email exchange basically sums up why I can't root for the U...ever. I understand the logic of rooting for the MWC teams at all costs and fully recognize that my position is irrational.

But, I've had too many exchanges like the one in this post over the course of the years -- even in years when BYU beat the U by 40 points. While I'll acknowledge there is a plethora of exceptions to this rule, U fans are, by and large, lame and classless and it is for their sake that I always root against the U. I have a number of good friends who are otherwise good and normal people who turn into complete D-bags when it comes Utes football.

To put it in perspective -- for me, the Utes are kind of like the Lakers. Make sense?

Dan said...

I got another snotty email from her(?).

I swear, for someone unwilling to tell me who they are, she(?) sure spends a lot of time on me.

letterman said...

While I'll acknowledge there is a plethora of exceptions to this rule, sports fans are, by and large, lame and classless.