Friday, January 16, 2009

The end of his era.

So, as I drove home last night, I heard a good portion of Pres. Bush's farewell speech. I have to admit I liked it. There has been so much acrimony, so much divisive anger over the last eight years, I have become fairly dismissive and cynical about politics as a whole. Much of the animosity directed at Pres. Bush is in reaction to some policies and practices that caused anger. I think that the best that can really be said about this administration is that they did a mediocre job at an incredibly difficult time. But, as I have mentioned before, I think the reaction from the left has been unreasonable and overreaching.

As I listened to him speak, admit mistakes, and talk about his reasons for doing what he did, I came to a conclusion. I truly believe that he based his decisions on what he felt was best for the country. Was he always right, no. Did he surround himself with people whose interests were contrary to those of the country, absolutely. I think that he had many people telling him things that were calculated, and meant to steer him down a path that was not best.

Does this excuse the mistakes, and the problems of this administration, no. But as I listened to Pres. Bush speak, I once again felt sorry for this country. People revel in their hatred of him. They excuse it, and their reactions to him, blaming him for how they act and speak.

Anyway, just my thoughts of Bush as he exits.

No comments: