Sunday, January 18, 2009

It will continue.

So, apparently on Friday Tom Hanks opined on how un-American Mormons are. Or at least those who voted for Proposition 8. I won't bother to quote him, for those interested in the story, you can go here.

I will forego the discussion of whether its ever unamerican to vote, but will point to a different point I want to make.

I first heard about this while we were discussing the Joseph Smith lesson. And the first thing that came to my mind was a quote from the Prophet.

The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done.


This isn't a list of hypotheticals, nor is it symbolic. I truly believe these things have, are, and will continue to happen. Calumny has been, and will continue to be used to defame the Church. The point that I made in Elder's Quorum today was that we have a choice. We can either choose to follow as the work of God goes forth boldly, nobly, and independent, or we can choose to be ashamed of our testimonies of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately more and more people in positions where their words will be heard will choose to badmouth the Church. I say this not as a position of victimhood. I say it as a statement of how I see reality. I am disappointed that Hanks chose to take this stance, I have been a big fan of his work, but more importantly been a fan of his dedication to remembering the veterans of WWII. Being an actor doesn't give one common sense, or intelligence, nor does fame, but, I have enjoyed his work for WWII monuments, etc..

I am glad that in a world of constantly shifting values, I know exactly where I stand.

5 comments:

letterman said...

It seems to me Mr. Hanks is confused. A majority of Californians voted in favor of Prop. 8. So if voting for it makes one un-American, it follows that most Californians are un-American. Mormons aren't exactly an overwhelming fraction of the California electorate.

Jeff said...

Kick against the pricks !

RealFruitBeverage said...

No Dan voting is for losers. Don't you know voting is un-American.

Tiffany said...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482266,00.html

He seems to have realized he said something stupid. Kudos to him for that at least.

Taylor said...

I doubt he has changed his point of view. c'mon, it's been 1 day. That tired apology was released as a written statement. It was probably written by his PR rep who only did so to stop the backlash against his career.