Wednesday, January 21, 2009

FINALLY.

So, finally a judge has ruled (at least on a temporary basis), that you cannot flout the law, and get away with it. Go here to read the full story.

The Bill Barret Corporation, with the aid of the BLM has been busy destroying resources left and right to get to some natural gas in the most invasive and harmful way possible. And now, a temporary restraining order has gone into place stopping the further development (or sale) of new leases in Nine Mile, and other possibly sensative sites.

To be clear, and to have full disclosure. I have no problem with domestic drilling. I do think that it is a short term solution, that isn't as important as many others think, but I do not think there is any real reason to block domestic drilling. I do, however, have a problem with going after natural resources in an irresponsible manner. I do not believe that the government should rubber stamp the path of least resistance for a company to get to the resources. I don't think we should give the okay to the most irresponsible way of extracting those resources so that the company can save a few bucks. And I especially do not believe that the required safeties, and hoops that are supposed to be jumped through should be ignored, or side stepped to green light a project.

Also, I, and my family, have enjoyed Nine Mile Canyon for decades. It is, in my opinion, one of the top 2 or 3 greatest most amazing sites in Utah. My uncle has been the BLM archaeologist there for decades, and my aunt is the head of the Nine Mile Canyon coalition and quoted in the above article.

The BLM has been underhanded, deceitful, and duplicitous throughout this entire process. And to say that I believe that there are corrupt individuals on the local level in this organization would be an understatement.

There are only a few corporations that I feel are truly evil (I'm not one of those big evil corporation people, I like corporations, they create jobs, and make stuff, etc..), but my top four in no particular order would be C&H (yes, the sugar people), Uncle Ben's, Dole, and the Bill Barret Company.

I'm sure there are worse ones, but this is my list, go make your own.

No comments: