Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sports

So, it may be cliche, but I am a big sports guy. I love football, love soccer, love basketball. I have never been able to get into watching baseball, don't know why, just don't find it interesting, though I love playing (softball). I enjoy playing just about any sport you can come up with. I wish I could have been an adult back in the hay day of church sports. I know church sports have a bad reputation, but I remember going as a family (or at least several of us), to watch my Dad play softball. It was a blast, lots of people came to watch, and there were always enough people to field teams. That's my biggest pet peeve about church sports now. I think my generation of adults is too busy watching T.V. or playing computer games, or just sitting on their can to get out and play sports. (Don't get me wrong, I love watching TV and playing computer games, but I love playing sports even more).

I don't have a lot of opportunity anymore. For a brief moment, I got to play some indoor soccer last year, which was awesome. I've been thinking about seeing about the possibility of doing that again. I know Mark would be in, I think we could get Will to play on a team, Mark probably knows a couple guys that would play, and I have a ward that had 38 guys play basketball this last year, with that number, I would hope I could stand up in priesthood, ask, and get at least 2 or 3 guys who were seriously interested in playing. I don't know what the cost would be, but I have some practically unused indoor soccer shoes, and I want to play.

I also am an avid fan of sports. Currently the Jazz are in a playoff series with the Lakers, tied 2-2. Game 5 is tonight in LA. Man I would love to see us win tonight. I think if we can steal the game tonight in LA, we will win the series in 6 with a win back at home for Game 6. Then, if New Orleans wins, like it seems more and more likely they will. We have a great shot at reaching the NBA finals again, as we own N.O. in basketball.

I am also a Real Salt Lake fan. As I said I love soccer, and this year is the first year of season tickets for Alisa and me. These games have been great. They have yet to lose at home, though they have had two heartbreaking ties there so far. But also three spectacular wins, a combined 12-4 scoring at home. Which is more offense than I ever saw at all the games combined I went to prior to this season. I think we will make it to the playoffs this year, and if the team continues to gel, we could go far.

I know this is getting long, but the team I am getting extremely excited about is BYU football. The cougars have won ten straight games, and they return 10 offensive starters. TEN, that is huge for a team who's offense last year averaged more than 400 yds, and more than 30 pts per game. We return a thousand yard rusher, thousand yard receiver, and a QB that threw for 3900. Can't wait for the fall.

My sports life is going well, very well.

No comments: