Thursday, May 15, 2008

Obama

So, I know that several Obama supporters read my blog. I love you anyway. Often people think that I am partisan for the sake of being partisan. I like to think that I'm not.

Early on, I mean early, early on, I kind of liked Obama. Said I'd probably vote for him if Huckabee was the VP candidate etc..

This changed when I really started to see his stances on the issues. I'll give you the fact that the guy can give a good speech. He is very charismatic. I'm afraid, however, that I strongly disagree with more than one of his stances. I'll provide some examples. You may agree with him, that's fine, I don't on these, I think he's just wrong.

First. I firmly believe that the purpose of the Senate in the judicial nomination advise and consent is to see if the person is qualified. Period. I don't think it is to see if they agree with you, etc.. Reading this statement by Obama convinces me that we couldn't be more different on our view of the judiciary. I think on the really tough cases, the ones that are really, really difficult, where the judges end up disagreeing. You need to go to the law. To the constitution. I don't think feel good opinions are the answer to tough legal problems. And what bothers me the most here is this statement,

"There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Judge Roberts is qualified to sit on the highest court in the land. Moreover, he seems to have the comportment and the temperament that makes for a good judge. He is humble, he is personally decent, and he appears to be respectful of different points of view."


So, then you would assume Obama voted to approve Judge Roberts, right? Nope. He goes on to say this,
"what matters on the Supreme Court is those 5 percent of cases that are truly difficult. In those cases, adherence to precedent and rules of construction and interpretation will only get you through the 25th mile of the marathon. That last mile can only be determined on the basis of one's deepest values, one's core concerns, one's broader perspectives on how the world works, and the depth and breadth of one's empathy."


I don't want Ginsberg's values deciding U.S. law. Heck, I don't want Scalia, or Roberts, or Alito's values deciding U.S. law. I want their best interpretation of the U.S. Constitution.

Here is a clip from a debate. Most of you probably won't watch it, though if you are going to vote for Obama, I wish you would. If you agree with him, thats fine, I just hope you know what his stances are first. I disagree with him on two things here. First, it seems that nobody disagreed with the idea that when capital gains tax was cut revenue went up, no one on the stage disagreed with that statement, so I assume the agree with that. Charlie Gibson pointed out that whenever capital gains was raised, revenue went down. Obama said he was still for increasing it, in order to get more revenue. Doesn't that seem like he is ignoring the statistics?

Second thing he said there that I have severe heartburn with is that the President didn't jump on the housing crisis early enough. I'm sorry, that is not the President's job. Where was congress on this one? Or, heaven forbid, lets have someone in the public eye cast a little blame on greedy, shortsighted individuals that set themselves up for horrible consequences on their homes. There are plenty of reasons to not like the current administration. But it is too easy of an out to blame the administration for things that could have been handled by the congress and weren't. This shouldn't be a talking point, with three Senators in the race for the white house. None of them seems to have gotten off their keesters to do anything about the housing crisis.

In general, I find Obama to be disingenuous. He spouts moderate, bridge building, etc. But his rhetoric is no different than any other candidate I have heard. He is 100% wrong on the war in Iraq. He states that from the month he is put in office he will remove 1 brigade per month from Iraq until they are all gone. He doesn't put any stipulations or conditionals on it, just one per month until we're gone. I know that Jimmy believes that he will change his mind after he gets in office and sees more info. I don't have that kind of faith.

To be open and honest. There are things I disagree with McCain about. I don't believe that now is the time for a increased tax-cut. As long as we are spending lots of money on Iraq/Afghanistan, anything that cuts our revenue shouldn't be pushed forward, unless that revenue is picked up in a more desireable way.

My hope here isn't to convert people away from Obama. My biggest fear is that people like him, because he is likeable and a good speaker. If you actually go read up on his stances, now what he believes and wants to put into action (not just the soundbites you hear every now and again), thats your deal. And we can disagree and what kind of programs are right, economically. I just hope people who 'like' him, actually know him first.

5 comments:

letterman said...

I hate what the filtering process of party primaries does to our choice of candidates. I look at what we have to choose from and weep.

We learned back in civics class that the role of the judicial branch is to interpret the law. But too many people in our history have wanted the courts to decide what the law should say, not just what it says. Obama's just another one of those people.

Why would Obama base his tax plan on the amount of revenue it generates? With few exceptions, Congress doesn't care how much tax revenue the US government collects. It's not like it affects how much they spend! No, they see the tax code in completely different terms, as a system of rewards and punishments to make Americans behave the way they want. These attitudes affect both the major parties.

I want a leader. Where can we get someone who will say, "It's immoral to spend more money than you earn. Individuals and businesses ought not to do it, and the government won't do it anymore."? Where can we find someone who doesn't worship at the altar of "economic growth"? How can we get the choice to elect someone who believes the role of the federal government is to provide for the common defense and let the states govern? How can we form a government that allows individuals to make their own choices and live by the consequences?

I know Obama's not the answer.

RealFruitBeverage said...

The reason why I like Obama the most is I think he is the best chance of Richardson being a VP, you know the guy who is actually the best person for the job. I like that Bloomy fella too. A RichBloom ticket!

As for Obama's stance on Iraq; he has already stated that he would consult with the Generals in charge and whatever State Department officals in the area and then make adjustements. The whole time line thing IMO is more pandering.

I'm with you on the Capital Gains bit but you got to pick your posion here. McCain and I have a fundemental diffrence on the way we view the First Amendment. Oddly enough I think Will has a closer view with McCain than I do on this issue. Strange isn't it?

The biggest thing I don't like about Obama is that he seems to be of the view that you can't let the private sector fall on its face. It seems like he is willing to do almost anything to stop it. Including not make it private. At least his heart is in the right place, then again as the God Father taught us the path to hell is paved with . . .

Now for rebuilding our infastructure and having a sensible energy plan I'm all on board about that; wait that's Richardson again, and Bloomberg too hummm!!!

OH and Dan AL DAVIS! Glad I could ruin your sports summer.

Alisa said...

Jimmy I really liked the fact that you linked Hell and Obama. That's a natural fit.

Unknown said...

Jimmy -- Richardson was the most qualified DEMOCRAT in the race. I think it's a stretch to say that he was the most qualified overall. That's especially true when you consider that, during the primaries, he took a sharp turn to the left, out -lefting everyone on the stage except maybe Kucinich (eg. promising ALL troops out of Iraq by the end of his third term when Hillary, Obama, and even Edwards said that to unconditionally make such a promise was irresponsible). Yeah...Richardson's pandering during the primaries made me respect him less. Besides, I really doubt Obama would pick him.

Dan -- I don't think McCain has promised more tax cuts, only that the current tax cuts would be made permanent. As it is, taxes are scheduled to go back up either this year or next (I forget exactly when...I suppose I should figure that out). Tax revenues have actually gone up during the Bush years...it's unfortunate that Congress got so spendy because it created the perception that the opposite is true.

Overall, though, I agree with Dan...Obama's a colossal tool. I never thought I'd say this, but, the more I learn about Obama, the less I think that Hillary is the worst person for the job.

Word.

RealFruitBeverage said...

First I don't know who this Jimmy guy is you all keep talking to but he sounds like a really, really good looking guy.

Second yeah pandering, hum all the jobs in MI are coming back.

Third some people think he is a tool because he is closer to being the opposition. If it had been the other way around then you'd think one who can not be killed is the tool and maybe Obama was the better choice.

Fourth I'm not saying the O bomb would pick Bill, I just think the greatest probablity is with him.

Last, who was the most qualified person to run Bry?