Tuesday, September 9, 2008

We're through

I am taking this opportunity to announce the dissolution of a relationship that has lasted a long time, but, in the end is no longer fulfilling, or worthwhile to me.

I am officially severing all ties, actual or implied, and any and all relationships with, the Raiders organization. I have been a fan for a long time, the genesis of this is frankly, even unknown to me. I have loved the Raiders through good times and bad, but, in the end, feel that this is a toxic relationship that has nothing good for me.

I would like to say that this is an amicable separation, but it is not. I hold nothing but malice towards Al Davis. In this separation, the Raiders retain their losing seasons, and inablity to make anything resembling a good decision. I keep what dignity remains after 20+ years of being a Raider fan.

I don't yet know who I will be a fan of. I am not for bandwagoning, so I don't just want to hitch up with a lame trendy option, I also hate the Patriots. I have enjoyed the Colts the last couple of years, big Peyton Manning fan, and I really like Brett Favre. But, I don't know that I can come out and claim to be a Colts or Jets fan. If John Beck was actually going to play for Miami, then I might sign up with them (my first actual intense rooting for someone memory is rooting for the Dolphins to beat the Redskins in the Superbowl.) I would have been 4 and a half.

But, alas, as of right now, there are no such plans for Beck. So, I will float an unclaimed fan, rabid intensity awaiting an appropriate outlet. In the mean time, I will step up my hatred of the Denver Broncos to compensate. It doesn't matter if I am still a Raiders fan or not, I will forever hate the Broncos.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm impressed that you remained a Raiders fan this long, and I lived in the area for four years.

letterman said...

You could, like, get a life or something. This started when you were an impressionable young skull full of mush, trying to figure out expected gender roles and fit in with your cool (Ha!) older brothers.

Instead of looking for a different football team to support, maybe you should replace this twisted obsession with something that isn't sports. Isn't that really where your whole problem started? You could take Mom's complaint seriously, and start memorizing scriptures instead of sports team lineups and stats.

Think it over.

Dan said...

If your not going to help, Nathan, why post. I mean really, a constructive hobby?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Nathan. First off, I was and still am the ONLY cool older brother. Secondly, Daniel has a contructive hobby - he watches Futurama.

RealFruitBeverage said...

I recommend the Texans. They aren't super trendy (yet), and they are doing all the right things to lay a foundation for a good team in the long run.

As usual your ex did the glimmer of hope thing again. Don't go back to her Dan, don't.

Lovingly Steelers fan.

Karen said...

You should choose the way Amy Poehler and I choose sports teams: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/peyton-manning-ncaa-bracket-snl/959713811