Monday, February 11, 2008

Suggested reading

After my last post, I thought I would make a suggested reading list (more specific than authors on the last one). I will try to rate them, and give you an idea of pages, in case some are worried about diving into a vast series.

#1 The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World is the first. 11 books currently, will end with 12. app. 700-900 pages each. Robert Jordan

#2 The Sword of Truth: Wizards First Rule is the first, 11 books in all. Terry Goodkind app 700pp

#3 The Riftwar Saga: Magician: Apprentice is the first, 4 books in all. Raymond Feist. app. 400 pp

#4 The Assasin Series: Assasin's Apprentice is the first, 3 books in all, Robin Hobb app. 400 pp

#5 The Dark Elf Trilogy: Legacy is the first, 3 books in all, R.A. Salvatore app. 400pp

#6 The Cleric Quintet: Canticle is the first, 5 books in all (duh, quintet) R. A. Salvatore app 400pp

#7 The Serpent War Saga: Shadow of a Dark Queen is the first, 4 books in all. Raymond Feist, app 400pp

#8 Dragonlance Chronicles: Dragons of Autumn Twilight is the first, 3 books in all Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, app 400pp.

#9 The Belgariad: Pawn of Prophecy is the first, 5 books in all, David Eddings app 500pp

Well, there you go. Enough reading to last you a long, long time. And if that weren't enough, most of these authors have AT LEAST two others series nearly as good as the ones listed. So, go, read, enjoy.

3 comments:

Breanne Grover said...

I would like to add that it is a fairly intense show. I have only seen an episode and a half, but it is intense.

Silent E said...

Here are some more recommendations:

The Book of the New Sun, by Gene Wolfe. Four books, the first is Shadow of the Torturer. Set on Earth millions of years in the future, but not science fiction - it's fantasy.

The Bas-Lag books by China Mieville. Not technically a series, but all set in the same fantasy world. First is Perdido Street Station. This guy is pretty young, and he should still grow as a writer, but he has the best worldbuilding skillz since Jordan (not to suggest any resemblance in their worlds - there's not a bit).

Song of Ice and Fire, by George R. R. Martin. I know you've heard of it, and since it isn't on your list (and if it were, I know it wouldn't be lower than #2), I can only assume you still haven't read it, and I don't know why.

The Discworld series, by Terry Pratchett. It isn't often taken as seriously as other fantasy series, because it's humorous. However, there's a reason it sells better than the others. It's not just jokes about dwarfs and wizards, ha ha. It has become something so much bigger, and deeper, and more moving. One of the recent books, Night Watch, keeps trying to tell my brain it's my all-time favorite, even beating out Tolkien, and sometimes I think my brain believes it.

Dan said...

The first two, I have never heard of, the third, I have read. The reason Martin didn't make my list of recommendations wasn't because I didn't think he was good, he is. It wasn't because I wasn't fascinated by how different he is, because I was. I didn't put it on the list, because it would be like recommending an NC-17 movie to people. If even I think that the content is a bit (actually, a bit isn't even a strong enough term), a lot over what should be put in a book, or is appropriate, then that says something.

Martin has great skills, I just don't buy the argument that the story line needs so much adult content.

I have been told by many well respected friends/family that terry pratchett is awesome, I have no excuse for why I have yet to read him.