Wednesday, February 6, 2008

If Huckabee is the VP nominee.........

I'll say it flat out. I can't vote for a ticket that has Huckabee on it. I don't care who the Presidential candidate is, I can not, in good conscience, vote for Huckabee in any capacity. However, in this election, if he becomes McCain's running mate, it is even more vital. Think about it. McCain isn't young, he's in his seventies. If something happened to him, his VP will be the president. Could you vote for Huckabee for President? Well, whoever is McCain's running mate, you will have to think of it in that way, would I be comfortable with this man as President.

Don't get me wrong, its not like I'm endorsing Hilary Clinton. On paper, Huckabee sounds good. I was a big fan of his stances on just about everything. In fact, there was some online test where you answered about 40 questions, and it told you who you were most in line with. Me and Huckabee 92%. But for some strange reason, I can't vote for a raving religious bigot, even if we agree on immigration, or the economy, or the war. I tracted out Huckabee's, I have met and had discussions with Huckabee's. I have known Huckabee's and stood there as they yelled in my face with hate in their eyes that I was going to Hell. Whatever else he may stand for, I know one of his stances very, very well. I won't vote for him, sorry, can't do it.

We have been told to find good men and women and vote for them. I think Romney is a good man, I think McCain is a good man too, I don't have any serious problems with him. But, I believe wholeheartedly that Huckabee is not a good man. He is filled with hate and bigotry, and despite my stances on the war or the economy, I cannot in good conscience cast a ballot to put a man like that in the White House. So, you may ask, who would you vote for? Honestly, I have no idea...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in agreement with you...but, for slightly different reasons. I can't stand Huckabee because he's running as the religious alternative to Romney. I don't honestly think he holds anything but basic theological disagreements against Mormons...he honestly doesn't come off hateful or bigoted to me. But, I think that he intentionally exploited peoples prejudices against Mormons in order to win, and that bugs me.

I don't think that anyone should use their specific religious beliefs as political weapon. If a Mormon in a Utah election were do the same things Huckabee's done against a non-Mormon, I'd feel the same.

I'm not a huge McCain fan either...but I'll vote for him. Heck, I'd vote for a ham sandwich before I vote for Hillary or Obama...but, I'd stay home if Huckabee were the VP.

Dan said...

He hasn't come off as hateful. But, and this may be judgemental, I have talked with too many 'kind' and 'loving' anti-mormons. He fits the bill, completely. Its just a gut feeling, not even something I can explain completely, but I am quite convinced that he is a bigot to his toes.

Cameron said...

I get the same sense whenever I have heard him speak.

What is ironic to me is that though Huck's supporters (and others) are afraid to vote for a Mormon because they think the Church will tell him what to do, I think the real worry in that regard is Mike Huckabee. The signs are crazy high that he would be a "religious" president in the worst sense of the word.

Which makes your correlation of Huck as McCain's VP with McCain's age all the more scary.

I've read someone predict that with Romney bowing out today, that could mean he's angling for VP. Would that change things for McCain?

RealFruitBeverage said...

Dan

O Bama! O Bama! O Bama!

You know my recored and views as a conservative. I've given up on the GOP. You know what I'm calling it HuckaBeelezub is going to be the VP canidate.

The harsh reality is that nothing will change for me. I'll still keep on doing what I'm doing, my job is all but secure, and genocide will still be ignored by who ever is POTUS.

Taylor said...

good points all.
My brother in law told me a day or two ago that huckabee was one of the keynote speakers when the baptists all came to utah to convert us mormons a few years back. I haven't had the time or the inclination to verify it though.

To me he's shown his character. To split the conservative vote the way he did was proof enough. Sadly, Dan, I don't know anybody I really want to vote for this November. I did like that once capturing the GOP front runner status McCain didn't swing left, but rather right making some promises which I agree with at the CPAC convention. Will he go through with them? That's the question.

Dan said...

Huckabee was THE keynote speaker at that convention. Funny enough, while I was in Texas trying to convert them, they left Texas and came to Utah to do the same. More power to em.