Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Why, Utah Legislature, why?

Riding in to work today, I heard a new story about our esteemed Chris Buttars. If you don't know who that is, it is too long to go into, suffice it to say he is the biggest joke/embarrassment of a state representative possible. I do not understand how he keeps winning his re-election bids, but that old man will not die (figuratively....or literally, either would solve the problem).

His most recent storm of genius comes in the form of a proposed non-binding resolution telling businesses to use the term Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays. Now, ignoring for the moment the fact that there may well be many business owners that are not Christian and may celebrate various holidays religious or otherwise during this time, a non-binding resolution is just that......non-binding. It has no authority. Its basically an issued opinion, not legislation.

Non-binding resolutions are the worst form of pandering. They waste time, they accomplish nothing, and they usually are about subjects that are either unconstitutional, or unpopular, hence the fact that legislators will not actually pass legislation on them.

This kind of stupidity goes on at all levels, things like resolutions honoring the World Series Champ and the like. They are annoying. But this one is not as innocuous as simply a pat on the back for some sports team that did well this year. Let's return to the previously ignored points. What about a business owner who doesn't wish to alienate customers who don't celebrate christmas? Now, I for one don't see why anyone would be alienated or offended to go to a store that said Christams in big bold letters, frankly I think its stupid to be offended, but shouldn't that be the business owners call? And why should the legislature even offer an opinion on the matter?

Moving on from that, what about those business owners who themselves celebrate something else, and so in an effort to be inclusive to their own culture they choose to use the all inclusive term holidays? Why is that wrong. I don't see how that is an assault on Christmas, and vicariously on Christ. That I guess is the bottom line of my annoyance. I frankly don't think that the Savior cares one way or another about the survival of the tree filled, present giving, Jingle Bells singing holiday. A Jehovah's Witness, or Hindu that spent his year caring for the sick and needy, and giving of his substance would have more of Christ in his life than anyone who puts up a tree, slaps some lights on his house, and lavishes his family with expensive christmas presents while belting out carols about the fat man in a red suit coming to town.

Please don't misunderstand me. I love Christmas. I get super geeked out about Christmas. For my whole life it has been a time when as much family as possible came to town, we got to spend time with them doing fun things and just being together. I like the spirit of Christmas, I like the lights, I like the carols, I like the tree, yes...I even like the presents. And I don't think there is anything wrong with anyone who does love Christmas. However, there is a perceived 'War on Christmas' constantly talked about by the right wing media talking heads, people like Glenn Beck *shudder*, and Sean Hannity.

There are people who hate all things religious, and want to wipe it from the face of the earth, however, no one will ever stop Temple Square from being lit up, or any person from decking their halls with boughs of holly.

Trying to force (albeit non-bindingly) businesses to specifically wish people Merry Christmas, is just as stupid as trying to force a business to not have anything Christmas/religious during this season. Why can't someone beat him in an election.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Why don't you run? Utah has a part time legislature.

Dan said...

Unfortunately, my job legally precludes my participation. Which I am sure Alisa likes, because I would probably do it, and she would probably not want me to.

Karen said...

I would like to propose a non-binding resolution telling you to call me "your majesty" on Monday-Thursday, and "my favorite sister dear" on Friday-Sunday. Make it so.

letterman said...

I'd like to see legislatures at all levels spend much more of their time on non-binding resolutions.

Taylor said...

if you like worthless legislature then you'll love these. Our congress decided that amid all our problems they needed to set aside time for the debate on National Watermelon Month and National Funeral Director and Mortician Recognition Day.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/29/956580.aspx

Newly re-elected Sen. Chambliss said the following before the Senate about National Watermelon Month.
"As Mark Twain once said, 'When one has tasted watermelon he knows what the angels eat.' I encourage my colleagues to join me in acknowledging the wisdom of Mark Twain by supporting this resolution"

Run for office Dan, even though you hate glenn beck I'd still vote for ya.