Wednesday, July 23, 2008

George Hincapie




I don't know how many of you have ever watched the Tour de France. Alisa and I got super addicted to it a few years ago, and watched as much as possible for Lance Armstrong's last three tours. If you didn't ever see Lance riding in the tour, you really missed out. He was incredibly exciting to watch. I know some of you may say, oh man, the tour, bike racing, that has got to be boring. I can tell you right now, that Alisa and I watched 160km+ races start to finish, and they were exciting. I can't explain it, because I don't find them too exciting now, but they were awesome in the three years we watched Lance race.

But this post isn't about Lance Armstrong, its about George Hincapie. Who is Hincapie? you might ask. Well, he was Lance's right hand man. He is currently riding in his 13th Tour de France, and in August will be in his 5th olympics for the USA. I am a huge George Hincapie fan, and if he were really in the GC race for the tour (GC is the term for overall leader, so if he were in contention to win the whole thing), I would be more interested. George is the consumate team guy. In the tour, you will find that the other 8 dudes, on successful teams, are there for one reason, to get their GC guy to win. George raced in all of Lance's victorious tours, and is, in my mind, a big reason Lance was able to win them. This guy is awesome. He has been successful in his own right, he has had the yellow jersey in the Tour, and he has won other races besides the Tour de France.

This may be a post many people couldn't care less about, but I wanted to give a big shout out to George Hincapie, thirteen time Tour racer, (soon to be) 5 time olympian. I will be excited to watch him in Beijing.

2 comments:

Breanne Grover said...

I love the Tour. It isn't boring--really.
When I had cable and a TV, I followed it daily.

Alisa said...

I love the tour. Cora always knows who my favorites are and will watch it with me.