Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Eye of the World

I am reading Jordan again. Don't know exactly what got me in the mood for it, but it has been a while since I read the first book cover to cover. I have probably read each book in The Wheel of Time an average of 5 or 6 times. It is my favorite series, bar none (Tolkein is still in my opinion the best, but for rereadability, for me Jordan wins).

This book is fabulous. I had been under the mistaken impression that Jordan had gotten a lot better over time (with the exception of books 8-9), but as I am reading The Eye of the World again cover to cover, no skimming, I realize how engrossing this book really is. I first read it over Christmas break 96. I bought it with my usual Hastings gift certificate that I got for Christmas from Ruth Ann (still one of the greatest ongoing gifts ever, just look at my bookshelves). I finished it in a couple days, and that was with all of the activities that we did over the holidays to contend with.

I would strongly, strongly suggest this book to anyone. I would dare you to read it, and not immediately upon finishing want to read the next one. I have especially enjoyed going back, and being reminded of how the characters all were at the start.

Breanne currently has borrowed The Eye of the World (I have at least 3 copies of it), I hope she is reading it, or planning to.

Even for those of you who don't particularly think you enjoy, or would enjoy fantasy, I would suggest this book, I doubt that any of you would be disappointed.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Dan!
I have enjoyed reading Jordan books tremendously since you first recommended them to me. However, recently I have started to tire of waiting for the conclusion of the series...
How are you? How's your family? I'd like to catch up sometime. How does that sound to you?

Dan said...

Andrew, wow. How in the world did you find my blog? I'm glad you did. I'd love to catch up. Send me an email at dansimp@juno.com then I'll send you my actual address, so as not to put it out on the nets for spam stuff.

Its great to hear from you, Alisa is excited to hear from you as well. Send me an email.

Taylor said...

dano!
You'll be happy to know that after 7 years I finally took your advice and read the first wot book. I had gone to the library several times and found it not there so I just gave up, but a new neighbor moved in who offered me his copy. It was amazing! I'm already reading the second! thanks for the suggestion man. they're really pretty dang good.

Dan said...

I'm glad you like them Taylor. I too am reading the second book right now (for like the 7th time).

I tell ya, I have never, ever had someone read them on my recommendation that didn't love them.

And I have had a lot of people read it on my recommendation.