Sunday, December 9, 2007

Movie Review: Amazing Grace ****

This movie moves me greatly. It is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

For those who don't know, this movie is the story of William Wilberforce the father of slavery abolition in the British Empire. It follows him through years of struggle against political corruption, and social opposition. He fought against decades, if not centuries of entrenched political and social norms. But he brought the dirty shame of slavery to the forefront, and left people with this thought,

"Having heard all of this, you may choose to look the other way...but you can never say again that you did not know."


The lead character is played by Ioan Gruffudd, some of you may know him as Horatio Hornblower. He is surrounded by a wonderful cast, including Albert Finney, Michael Gambon, Rufus Sewell, Ciaran Hinds, and a new actor for me, Benedict Cumberpatch (tell me you've ever heard a more british name).

This movie still brings tears to my eyes, it is powerful in its message as well as its presentation. I strongly encourage everyone to see it.

He was in part inspired by the man who wrote the lyrics to the hymn Amazing Grace (obviously the title comes from this). This is a hymn that I have never been particularly fond of. I think that it has been overdone, and has become rather trite. However, much like many things in this cynical world, when one takes the time to look more closely, it is powerful and inspiring. I'll leave you with the second verse, as it is less well known, and the message is powerful.

T'was Grace that taught...my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

A great man, and a fabulous movie. If you haven't seen it, you should.

4 comments:

Daisy Chick said...

We finally watched this movie and I agree it was so wonderful. It was a great cast and so moving. I loved the end with the song and the Bag Pipe Band. It was inspiring. We don't usually own a movie, this is one I would love to own. Thanks for the suggestion.

Totally worth watching.

Breanne Grover said...

I love this movie. It reminds me that individuals can do great things to affect the majority. The movie is well done, and the acting is outstanding. I would recommend a box of tissues for anyone who is prone to cry! It is an emotionally intense movie, so be prepared for it.

Dan said...

Its one on the list of ones that makes me tear up every time I see it.

Karen said...

Or anyone who isn't prone to crying, Breanne. Alisa says she's never seen me cry and my cousin always said I couldn't watch Hotel Rwanda until I gained a soul. Amazing Grace made me SOB (I guess I'm allowed to watch Hotel Rwanda now.) However, You've all missed the most important part of the movie: Her AMAZING hair!!! (that she covers up with her stupid "I'm married now" hats towards the end of the movie.