Monday, December 3, 2007

Life, liberty, and talking to your bff Jill. :)

So, I figure this will be an ongoing topic. I'll post on this topic when I hear something that bothers me. As a preface, I don't expect everyone to understand all the vaguaries of constitutional law, but, when people start asserting their rights, I think they should know whether or not its a real one.

Today's case in point. On the radio on the way in to work this morning, they were discussing the new idea of banning texting in school. This post is not a yeah or nay comment on that idea. They received texts from people expressing their opinions. They received one that stated, they can't ban texting, that goes against my freedom of speech.

Okay, I like the first ammendment. Its a nifty thing. But lets be honest here. Does anyone believe that the first ammendment protects your right to text messaging, in school? Anyone? You in the back, put your hand down, you still think income tax is unconstitutional.

I am all for people asserting and defending their rights. But, if you are going to publicly decry policies as 'unconstitutional', its probably best to at the very least, get familiar with the bill of rights. I'm not saying you need to understand the commerce clause, but at least the bill of rights. Thats it.

You don't have an inalienable right to texting. Thats all I'm saying.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you ever do any work AT work?

Alisa said...

So what you are saying is you hate free speech. Nice, I can't believe I married someone who hates free speech.

Breanne Grover said...

I just want to know how they think they are going to do it. I mean, I have students who can text with their cell phones in their pockets.

Dan said...

I'm sure there are many skilled people who will be able to continue to text, but it will at least give a teacher some enforcement capability. Schools are not allowed to ban cell phones (for safety reasons), so it seems it has gotten bad enough that they will need a separate enforcement arm.

Oh, and the title of this was originally something like, made up constitutional rights, with that in mind, the first paragraph makes sense.

Dan said...

And Mark, why would I be working. I am employed by the gubment.

Anonymous said...

6:42 am? I didn't think you were up that early either.