Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Bridge Builder

The Bridge Builder

by Will Allen Dromgoole (1860-1934)

An old man, going a lone highway,
Came at the evening cold and gray
To a chasm vast and deep and wide
Through which was flowing a sullen tide.
The old man crossed in the twilight dim;
The rapids held no fears for him.
But he turned when safe on the other side
And built a bridge to span the tide.

“Old man,” cried a fellow pilgrim near,
“You’re wasting your time in building here.
Your journey will end with the closing day;
You never again will pass this way.
You have crossed the chasm deep and wide;
Why build you this bridge at even-tide?”

The builder lifted his old gray head.
“Good friend, in the path I have come,” he said,
“There follows after me today
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
This stream, which has been as naught to me,
To that fair youth may a pitfall be.
He too must cross in the twilight dim —
Good friend, I am building this bridge for him.”


I first heard this poem while working at Boy Scout camp. It was used by one of the staff members who manned one of the stops on the Honor Trail. For those who don't know, the Honor Trail was a short hike at night that had several stops talking about portions of the Scout Oath, and its continued relevance and importance. I loved this poem, as I always enjoyed the Honor Trail.

As it is often lately, my mind is often consumed by the ideas and state of our society today as it deals with the idea of immigration. Now, I know, seeing that I may be talking about immigration, some will probably automatically leave. My ideas and stances are fairly well known I think, but it fills my mind, and my heart so often I cannot help but at least let these ideas out here.

I have been confused in the past as I hear some who have navigated the convoluted immigration system successfully. Some speak very strongly against amnesty, or easier options for those already here, or those still wishing to come. How unfair it would be for them to not have to go through the same time, money, and effort that they did to come out the other side. On some level, I can understand the frustration with having to jump through so many useless and punitive hoops, and then see others not have to do the same. However, I would suggest that the frustration and dissappointment with the needless complexities of the system would better be aimed at the system itself. Who better knows the heartache and anger of trying to get through that labyrinth than those who have managed to come out the other side. On some level, I guess I can understand directing the frustration in the direction of the next one to come, but I don't think thats where it should go.

Infinitely more baffling to me, however, are those to whom there were no obstacles, to whom their were no fences or roadblocks. Whose ancestors came here and besides perhaps a stop to make sure there were no infectious diseases, had the gates of the country opened to them. No extra fees, no endless paperwork, no confusing and pointless rules and regulations. Nobody standing in England on the dock saying, okay, fill out this paperwork, and if you are lucky, we'll get around to looking at it within the next decade, and we'll let you know. I can never understand why those who enjoy all of the multitude blessings of this amazing country want it to be difficult, and in some cases impossible for anyone new to come here. It seems that in those cases, when the old man got to the other side of the ravine that had been spanned by a very nice bridge, he turned around, set charges, and blew it up.

We have an opportunity in my generation to build the bridge. And I believe it to be not just a worthwhile endeavor, but one that will help return this country to a state that I believe it was meant to be in.

7 comments:

Blaine Morton said...

Yes Dan I too have been frustrated about the state of our Nations immagration laws, and too some extent lack there of. I would like to say "Just let them be make them citizens, those who have come here seeking only the opportunities that we take for granted everyday." Yet at the same time I have concerns for those who are here and have been here with no intentions of becoming citezens who continue to tax our already stressed and faltering social services, medical aid, school systems... the list continues. And what of those who are here for nefarious reasons. I would like to stand by the idea of "Bring us your poor your weary, your huddled masses longing to be free," but fear that soon the only sign that will be visable on the Statue of Liberty will read "No Vacancy!"

Karen said...

Blaine,
Do you really believe that immigrants don't contribute far more to society than they consume in government services? Especially since they are often afraid to seek medical care, aren't eligible for social security disability benefits, worker's compensation etc etc etc.
There has to be a solution to the problems of immigration that can be mutually beneficial to this country as well as to our immigrants. I don't believe that solution is to lock the doors and stick a chair under the knob.
The New Colossus is a beautiful poem. One that we should all believe in and try to live up to. Don't sully it.

Dan said...

Blaine, I believe if we were to actually fix the system there would be no problem with those who don't want to become citizens. We would have a way for people to come up here and work who didn't want to be citizens, a way for people to become citizens, and we could spend our time and money and energy on those who are here or want to come for nefarious reasons.

Blaine Morton said...

Sorry Karen, I thought that I was clear that I'm not against anybody being here to seek the great American dream and didn't intend to sound uncareing for there plight. I do believe that the majority of immagrants are industriuos contributers to our society. Not the minority that everyone focuses upon. My concern was that one day we will close our borders further alienateing us from the world a deminishing the diversity that has made this Nation great. I believe that those who are honestly contributing to the social aid provided by social security benefits, medicade, workers compensation ect. should be extended these benefits.

Blaine Morton said...

Dan that is exactly what I was getting at. Do I really sound anti immagration reform. I don't wish for anybody who wishes to come to this country for work not to be given that opportunity. I apologize. I only hope for laws that don't make being here illegally the only option for coming to this country.

letterman said...

Over the last 12 years I estimate that I have spoken to somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 Spanish-speaking immigrants. A lot of them freely admit that they're here without permission, but I don't think any of them has ever said they have "no intentions of becoming citizens".

Oh, I'm sure a certain percentage come with the thought of saving up a nest egg and going back home. But then life happens. Marriage and kids tend to change one's plans. And I can see how it would be hard to leave the freedom and prosperity that even an exploited illegal finds here.

Dan said...

Oh, thats not the feeling I got Blaine. I do know, however, that there are legitimate concerns on the other side of the issue, I just think that they can be legitimately, reasonably, and compassionately dealt with. I have never heard a concern with immigration that I didn't think could be completely taken care of with amnesty in some form.