Monday, June 16, 2008

Movie catchup.

So, Netflix has brought me a few more movies recently, thought I'd give my opinion on the latest three.

The Four Feathers: *** Starring Heath Ledger, in a part I would have preferred someone else, maybe Ioan Gruffud (sp). It wasn't bad. It didn't flow well, I don't know how else to describe it. It jumped around and wasn't a smooth movie. I liked the story, but to be really good, probably needed another 40sh minutes of really good character development (or maybe they could have done it in less if the character development they had had been done better). Anyway, it was enjoyable, and I can recommend it.

P.S. I Love You: ** 1/2 to ***. This has Gerard Butler, Hilary Swank, Harry Connick Jr., Lisa Kudrow, etc. This movie was good...ish. It is definitely not what you would classify as a 'romance'. Nor is it a comedy, though there are funny parts of it. It is drama, and it is sad drama. Gerard Butler dies within like 6 minutes of the movie's opening, and he is probably the best character. I found Harry Connick quite amusing at times. And Kathy Bates does her normal above average performance. If you don't like sad, don't watch it. It doesn't really have a happy lift you up at the end moment. Its just, yup, thats sad, and we will work through it, because we have to. So, go in with that in mind. I will not recommend it, not because it wasn't any good, but I'm still not sure if I liked it, and I don't think Alisa is sure yet either.

Goal: *** 1/2. Maybe it being about soccer bumped it up in my view, but Alisa really liked it too. No big stars, no hoopla, but it was a nice story, with great action, some impressive cameos (if you know who they are *Real Madrid stars hint hint*). I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Highly recommended.

4 comments:

RealFruitBeverage said...

I didn't find PS I Love You so depressing. That's just life. But enough of that pansey stuff. I'm going to see Hell Boy when it comes out and I'm going to go see the Hulk smash stuff.

Taylor said...

We just saw PS I love you about a week ago. It was miserable. Unless you like watching a woman cry for 2 hours.

The only silver lining was that they didn't got for the cliched ending I expected.

Karen said...

I LOVED the book PS I love you. (by Cecelia Ahern... the Irish Prime Minister's daughter: fact) It was fabulous. I guess that's why I really hated the movie. The only character I liked was the adorable irish-dimples man who played Denny in Grey's Anatomy. Great book, though. Also, the same author wrote If You Could See Me Now which is supposed to be turning into a musical starring Hugh Jackman. Another good book. But don't read her 'Rosie Dunne' It's truly terrible. PS I Love You should have just been left alone. And Harry Conick (Naked) Jr. should have kept his grubby paws off it! Same with giant-mouth what's 'er name!

RealFruitBeverage said...

WALL-E was good. I liked it.