Saturday, October 6, 2007

Love, in word and deed

I feel the urge to post about this subject today. I have, recently, seen so many examples of this profound principle.

As I type, I am sitting listening to General Conference, and Elder Worthlin just finished speaking. His talk was about love, the power that comes through it, the example we recieve from the life of Christ. As he spoke, the ravages of age, and deteriorating health began to take their toll. He began to shake, both in voice and physically. He was struggling to get the words that he had prepared across to those listening. Like a perfectly planned object lesson, from out of the shadow behind the pulpit came Elder Nelson. Standing like a much taller brother, he laid one hand reassuringly on Elder Wirthlin's arm, and placed the other supportively on his back. Tears came to my eyes, as thoughts ran through my head. Here was a doctor, standing behind Elder Wirthlin, a colleague, and an apostle, but perhaps most importantly, this was a man, supporting, reassuring his brother out of love. He remained there, silent, unmoving, until Elder Wirthlin finished his remarks, then helped him to his seat.

What a message it was. The powerful words of Elder Wirthlin resounding that much more with the visual message of love that was displayed. I couldn't help but think of all of the loved ones in my life.

Friends, family, those who mean so much, and make my life so wonderful. I see others displaying and offering love through support of their siblings, willingness to go and do, to help at the drop of a hat. I see the love displayed by men willing to leave their easy life to go enter the hard life of a soldier.

I am a lucky man.

2 comments:

Breanne Grover said...

This is a great post. Thanks. I appreciate that you spent Saturday a little different than you had planned in order to help us.

RealFruitBeverage said...

After thinking about this post long and hard the only thing I have to say is, luck has nothing to do with it. I mean that in a positive way.